Sunday, February 25, 2007

Taking stock of my life

After the Chinese New Year break, is time to pick up what I've left behind. This time, I would like to make a fresh start for my future.

After reading Gobala's posting today, it really struck me that all along till now, I didn't really take stock of what I'm doing in the pass whether is what I really wanted/ like to do. It just like I'm walking through life without realising where am I heading.

The following is an exercise I did after reading a book called "21st Century Overdrive Building" by Steve Chen. He's the Asian spoke-person for Anthony Robbin. This book is in Chinese, I'm not sure whether there is a English version. Anyway, those who read Chinese books, the ISBN# is 7-5015-3295-8. You can check out his book in all major bookstores using the ISBN#.

Back to my subject. The exercise I did was pretty simple yet it play a very important role in shaping my future. This is how the exercise looks like:

1) Take out a piece of paper, draw a straight line in between.
2) On the right side, put a heading of "What I like to do & do it well".
3) On the left side, put a heading of "What I dislike doing & do it badly".
4) List down as many things as I can think of. Important: I don't prejudge the activities.
5) After that, I start going throught the list. I found out what makes me say "Oh Ya!" & "No Way!".
6) From the analysis, I can now decide whether the "Oh Ya!" list of things are the areas I like to develop & shape my future.

Well, that's a pretty easy thing to do, right? Simple yet important cause my future lies there.

Note: I have more than one areas to develop, so I decided to pick one & start focusing on that till I see result. Then, only then, the other one. A journey of a thousand miles begin with a single step.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Adrian, that is an interesting exercise indeed.

If you are into the Law of Attraction, preached by The Secret Movie sold during MM1106 bootcamp, you will understand that the negative list of what you don't like to do helps you reinforce the positive list of what you really want to do. And the result of doing what we like to do is a joyful feeling where work becomes play. Such feeling of well being goes a long way to allowing all that we desire to materialise.

You may want to check out my blog which hosts all the powerful quotes I have come across after MM:

http://venturemaster.wordpress.com